We’re so excited to celebrate Independence Day with our favorite fireworks! Family, friends, barbeque… there’s so much to look forward to. While you’re finalizing all the details of your family celebration, be sure to also plan for fireworks safety.
Here are some great tips from the American Pyrotechnics Safety and Education Foundation:
- Always have an adult present and never give fireworks to young children, even sparklers.
- Remember that alcohol and fireworks do not mix.
- Purchase legal consumer fireworks from a licensed store, stand, or tent. (like Superior Fireworks, of course!)
- Read and follow the directions on the labels.
- Only use fireworks outdoors away from buildings on a flat, level, hard, fireproof surface that is free from debris.
- Have a working garden hose or bucket of water handy.
- Keep spectators at a safe distance.
- Always wear safety glasses when igniting fireworks.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never pick up or reignite a firework that doesn’t light the first time.
- Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device.
- Never throw fireworks at another person.
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket or shoot them from a metal or glass container.
- Allow finished fireworks to stand for at least 20 minutes and submerge in water for at least 2 minutes. Drain and place in a plastic bag and dispose outside in a covered trash can.
Plus, we’ll add one tip of our own that’s commonly recommended in the fireworks community:
- ABC — Always Brace Cakes
“Cake” is another term for multi-shot aerial repeaters. There are a lot of ways you can brace these, but the simplest is often just placing a couple of bricks on either side. This is especially helpful for smaller 200-gram repeaters and keeps them from moving around during their performance, which can eliminate any chance of tipping.
We hope you follow these simple tips and have a safe and happy 4th of July! While you celebrate, get some great photos and videos to submit to our photo/video contest. We look forward to seeing all the fun!