Site Links

Iowa Fireworks Bill 2017

Governor Signs Iowa Fireworks Bill Into Law

Today, Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad signed into law a bill that legalizes the sale and use of consumer fireworks.

The news is a big win for the state’s fireworks consumers, most of whom previously drove to Missouri to buy their stash.

That Branstad signed the bill was not a big surprise, considering he told Cedar Rapids’ The Gazette in April that “we have a lot of Iowans that go out of state to buy their fireworks” and that he was “not opposed to Iowa having access to legal fireworks on a limited basis.”

Bringing those sales back into the state will generate $1.5 million in sales tax revenue for the 2018 fiscal year, according to estimates from the Legislative Services Agency.

The Basics of Iowa’s Fireworks Law: Selling and Shooting Hours

The new law allows fireworks retailers with a permanent building to sell their product from June 1 through July 8 and from Dec. 10 to Jan. 3. Retailers in a temporary building or tent can sell from June 13 to July 8.

As we mentioned in the post we wrote after the Iowa Senate passed the fireworks bill, citizens can shoot fireworks from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. during selling season, with extended hours for July 4th, New Year’s Eve and several other weekend dates.

The law includes consumer fireworks of all kinds, including repeaters, shells, fountains and firecrackers.

The Loophole in Iowa’s Fireworks Law: Cities Might Opt Out

While we’re excited that Iowa is finally getting consumer fireworks, there’s still a lot that we won’t know about which counties and cities will allow fireworks.

The law includes an opt-out clause that allows cities to prohibit the use of fireworks but not their sale.

A recent report from Des Moines’ KCCI indicates that city leaders are already discussing the possibility of opting out of the law over safety concerns, and that, according to one city council member, the city is “leaning toward the option.”

In the same article, Urbandale City Manager A.J. Johnson said the city is going to opt-out of the law.

Be sure to check with your local authorities to see whether fireworks will be allowed in your area.

Additional Resources: Permits and Licenses

In order to sell fireworks in Iowa, you’ll have to apply for a business license and a fireworks retail license. You can learn about all the details of both at the following links:

The fire marshal’s page will most likely be updated in the next few weeks to include procedures and rules for selling fireworks.

If you want to read through the original text of the law when it was passed by the Senate, click here to read it.

Running a Fireworks Stand in Iowa

Once you’ve read up on what you need to do, license- and permit-wise, to start selling fireworks in Iowa, take a look at our series of posts on How to Run a Fireworks Stand.

We wrote the series based on our experience selling fireworks here in Florida and working with resellers around the country through our wholesale fireworks division.

Each post is in-depth and will help you understand how to choose a location, how to hire employees, how to manage your cash, how to market stand and run as well as several other crucial areas of your fireworks business.

You can also call us at 904‑213‑0615. We’re more than happy to answer any questions you have about product, pricing and more.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

6 Responses to Governor Signs Iowa Fireworks Bill Into Law

  1. Gins soren July 4, 2017 at 10:35 pm #

    Are there restrictions outside city limits on fireworks? Are there time constraints like within city limits??

    • Superior Fireworks July 5, 2017 at 4:31 pm #

      Outside city limits, you shouldn’t run into any additional restrictions. We hope you had a great Fourth of July!

  2. Vic May 10, 2017 at 3:52 am #

    Hi there. I am an Iowan that is very interested in opening a fireworks stand this summer in my hometown and I have found Superior to be a great resource and wholesale site.

    One of the details in the Iowa Fireworks bill is that any seller has to provided proof of commercial general liability insurance (miniumum $1million per incident – $3million aggregate coverage) in order to obtain a permit to sell.

    My question is: Can you extend this insurance to reseller whom purchases from you? Or can you recommend a couple insurance companies that can provide this coverage at an affordable rate to smaller fireworks vendors? What is the average cost of insurance for small fireworks vendors?


    • Vic May 10, 2017 at 4:05 am #

      Opps! The minimum aggregate coverage requirement is $2mil not $3mil.

      So minimum $1mil per incident – $2mil aggregate coverage is what is required.

    • Superior Fireworks May 10, 2017 at 5:15 pm #

      Hi Vic, thank you for your kind words! We can provide insurance to resellers operating from a temporary building, like a tent or stand, for around $200 per season. After you place your order, reach out to us and we can send you the paperwork.

      However, if you are in a permanent building, even seasonally, you have to secure your own policy directly with an insurance company. Minimum policies are typically thousands of dollars, so we only recommend this if your business is large enough to justify the extra expense. If you need a referral for a couple of insurance companies that offer these types of policies, call us at 904-213-0615 or email

      • Vic May 12, 2017 at 3:37 am #

        Great to hear! You should mention that you can offer this insurance service in your blog series. I am sure other potential resellers would appreciate it.

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress. Designed by WooThemes